In House Beautiful's 2004, Special Interest Publication, Beautiful Interiors, artist and interior designer, Lucinda Lester, shared her knowledge of what constituted a French accent in a home.
1. The French style reflects a not too perfect life.
2. Select furniture that is over scaled like an overscaled mirror with a bulky mantle and large tables. One large piece reads better than a lot of little pieces.
3. Juxtapose several textures and colors to create warmth. Use topiaries in urns, 2 different tablecloths for fullness, chairs with silk cushions and rough caned backs and free standing wood shutters lining a wall.
4. Add whimsy using garden scultures inside the home.
5. Use pattern in stone, tile or wood floors.
6. Sisal rugs can identify seating areas.
14 hours ago