About Me

My photo
I want to share ways to create a signature style in home design for others by offering ideas and pictures as examples.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Magazine That Changed My Decorating Taste Forever

The magazine that changed my decorating taste forever was the November 1997 issue of Traditional Home. To this day, it rocks my world! The photographer was Jon Jensen.

The home belonged to the Cunninghams in Nappa Valley. The murals painted throughout the home look like they came from an old villa in renaissance Italy but if the truth were known the work is of an Italian born and trained artist, named Carlo Marchiori, from nearby Calistoga. The fact that the Cunninghams had an ancanthus leafed glass topped library table much like my Ballard one helped.



The pictures below allow you to see the painted walls and ceilings. You may also notice the glazed orange urns and the apricot velvet on the sofas.


                                                 







The formal dining room has a painted mural covering one whole wall that has pocket doors that allow you to open it up into the kitchen or close the kitchen off for entertainment. On the side of the room you see below are French doors leading out into the court yard.



This is my favorite picture in the home. It is at the end of the formal dining room where a smaller table is set up to be used as a plant stand for topiaries, as a serving table, or can be used as a breakfast table. I love the big baskets sitting under the table.



                                  Look at the thickness of the marble slab that is the countertop.



                                            Take in the fireplace in the breakfast room.



Get a load of the court yard below. And there is a lantern light fixture like the ones Joni Webb of COTE DE TEXAS admires and remember this was back in 1997.


1 comment:

  1. I remember this so well!!!!! I was SO in lopve ith this house for yeaars. I still have the original story in my clippings file.

    For an antique or new suzani - try ebay. That is where I got the suzani in my family room.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog